The practice of geomancy in the West has traditionally involved the interpretation of 16 symbolic figures in relation to the positions that they occupy on two types of charts, i.e., the Shield Chart and the astrological House Chart. While each of the figures carries a specific set of meanings, the charts’ positions also have assigned meanings in light of which the figures are interpreted. These positions form a pre-structured framework or pattern similar to “spreads” in tarot, as they serve to guide the reader’s interpretation of the figures and give context to their appearance. The entire art of geomancy is thus the process of intuiting the combined meanings of intersecting representations in relation to a query.
The Novenary Chart herein introduced is an experimental framework that relies on the mathematical relations between the figures and the intuition of the reader to determine the meanings of the chart’s positions. The ambiguity of this model is intended to allow the intuition some measure of freedom to structure and adapt the chart to the circumstances quesited or to the specific interrogative framing of the query (i.e., who, what, when, where, why, how, or yes/no). The following sections provide an overview of the Novenary Chart’s composition and function thus far.
Positions and Meanings
A Novenary Chart reading begins with the generation of three figures via the practitioner’s preferred method (e.g., 16 marked rows, dice, etc.). From these initial three, six additional figures are generated using the same method employed in the Shield Chart to produce the Four Nieces from the Mothers and Daughters. For ease of reference, the figures that will be displayed on the chart are numbered F1–F6 from right to left in descending order (the 7th, 8th, and 9th figures are not displayed on the chart). All nine figures are listed below in the order in which they are interpreted during a reading, along with their meanings and mathematical relations.
- F6 is referred to as the Return. It is the mathematical result of both F1 + F2 and F4 + F5. As the distillation or sum of all preceding figures, it represents the central answer to the query.
- F1 is referred to as the Right Condition. Its meaning in relation to F6 is to be determined by the intuition of the reader.
- F3 is referred to as the Left Condition. Its meaning in relation to F6 is to be determined by the intuition of the reader.
- F2 is referred to as the Fulcrum. It represents the factor or variable that had, is having, or will have a significant influence on both F1 and F3.
- F4 is referred to as the Right Process. It is the mathematical result of F2 + F1 and tells us something about the means by which F1 contributes to the production of F6 in light of F2’s influence.
- F5 is referred to as the Left Process. It is the mathematical result of F2 + F3 and tells us something about the means by which F3 contributes to the production of F6 in light of F2’s influence.
- The hidden 7th, 8th, and 9th figures are collectively referred to as the Ternion and are the mathematical results of F1 + F5, F2 + F6, and F3 + F4 respectively. They will always be identical figures and are not displayed on the chart. While the symbolic meaning of this figure may also be intuited, its repetition in the chart suggests that it signifies an underlying quality or attribute of the quesited.
For ease of reference, the following naming conventions have also been assigned to the four main triads of the chart:
- Outer Triad (F1 + F3 = F6)
- Right Triad (F1 + F2 = F4)
- Left Triad (F2 + F3 = F5)
- Lower Triad (F4 + F5 = F6)
Query: Will X run for President again in 2024?
Outer Triad: Caput Draconis as the Return is positive to the query and suggests that X will “enter” the presidential race in 2024. Puer as the Right Condition may be implying that his (or his supporter’s) “enthusiasm” or “overeagerness” will contribute to his decision to run for office, while Amissio as the Left Condition indicates that the “loss” of something will also contribute to his decision.
Right Triad: Amissio as the Fulcrum is possibly referring to X’s past re-election “loss”, a defeat which is fueling his aforementioned “enthusiasm” and will eventually help to open up a “new opportunity” (Right Process) that will serve as the means by which he renews the campaign.
Left Triad: The past re-election loss indicated by the Fulcrum will influence (or was influenced by) another “loss” of some kind indicated by the Left Condition. The compounding effect results in a “mass gathering” or the “mobilization” of his (or his opponent’s) base as indicated by the Left Process. (Populus) This resultant gathering will also facilitate the renewal of his campaign.
Ternion: Puer as the 7th, 8th, and 9th figures suggests that the dynamics occurring in the chart all share the underlying quality of “pugnacity” and “incautiousness”.
Six days after publishing this post, I had a brief dream during which I saw X’s face and realized that the Left Condition represents “lost ballots”. This realization somewhat leads me to believe that the Left Condition and Left Process are referring to events that have already occurred.
The practical divinatory value of the Novenary Chart will likely be ascertained after a number of diverse readings have been performed. It is also possible that the chart may be better suited to certain types of queries than others, though practitioners may find that the techniques traditionally employed to read the Shield and House Charts (via puncti, companies, perfection, chart sum, etc.) might also serve to expand the chart’s capabilities. Suggestions for improving this model, or insights pertaining to its use and development are kindly welcomed and appreciated.
Altered featured image by Jr Korpa on Unsplash